Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What Dreams "Of Adventures" May Come...

(And yes I know that I just made up a word...Shakespeare did it all the time...)

Quick Note: This post is a bit on the deeper/meditative/hippie thinking about my feelings side. Be prepared...

I recently have been doing research into ways to start making a living off of my traveling (I say traveling, but I really don't leave BA all THAT much). While my day job as Webmaster, Environmental Expert, Author, Content Manager, Marketing Director, Sales Associate, etc... at QFilter.com is getting me by just fine, I like to plan for the worst. And the worst case for me would be having to find another job. So that being said, i am trying to find a way to do something I really enjoy like writing (In case you didn't notice) and find a way to support myself doing it. Not that I am really the type who believes in all of that "Do what makes you happy" for work thing, (I personally believe that work should be the means to the end, I work to live, not the other way around), but in this case it fits my needs just fine.

My on going research has lead me so far to several interesting organizations of facts, feelings, and convictions in my mind, that while perhaps always having been present somewhere inside of me, now have found a proper place, put in proper order, and made to be readily understood by all (including me).
So be ready to begin reading about my new found Epiphanies as i have them during this search, and new facet of my identity.

OK so I was starting to sound like quite the hippie there for a min, so lets get back to reality for a while shall we...

So as i was saying, I have been doing a lot of investigating work lately about travel writing, and photography. Along the way i found this amazing site http://matadornetwork.com that has dozens of different bloggers and travel writers from all over that contribute to it. This article in particular i found to be simply amazing.


It is an interview with this woman who has spent years sailing up and down the west coast of America (North and South are really just one big continent you know) alone in her boat. Stopping here and there, and doing it all alone. I for one could go on for hours about how fascinating i found this woman's adventures to be. What it must be like to have to spend almost all you day just gathering the needed supplies for life, to experience life on the open sea...all alone, and to see and experience such a wide panorama of this amazing part of our Earth and its people, as she has.

WARNING: MASSIVE Hippie Content to follow, me talking about my feelings and deep thoughts etc. Read on only if you dare...

However as i began to think about her life, and as i read the stories of others, it also began to remind me of the the profound pity i also have for these people. They spend their lives trying to get away from all that is bad in this world, and to live as harmoniously as they can with the planet. Seeking to escape from evils of our so called "modern, civilized" society of greed, oppression and hate. And they do achieve this in a limited sense, and experience a better life, one that is in certain ways closer to how we were meant to live. And at first glance their life seems to be among the best you can have.

However as people who have come to know the true God Jehovah, we know there is more to life than this. Even if we were to spend our lives now, enjoying all the wonders of the mesmerizing blue Pearl named Earth, we would be missing out on the key to mankind's happiness, which is our service to God.

Though these people see first hand what the human existence could be at its best, they also come face to face with cold reality oh mankind at its worst. That our world is being destroyed by the very people who's lives depend upon it. For every environmental success story (such as the the creation of national parks), there are the Golf oil spill type events that occur everyday that destroy even more. These people see first hand the utter poverty, and oppression that often hides beneath the surface even in our so called developed home countries. While they live "The Life", most of the planet toils in sorrow just to get by, and sadly many do not even achieve that much. And they learn the fateful, sad but true eventuality, that "nothing lasts forever". No matter how much we enjoy this life, it will come to an end. No matter how much love, passion, or determination we have had within us, and no matter what sights we have seen, sounds we have heard, smells and tastes we have taken in, and friends and companions we have made, in the end it all fades away and we take nothing with us when we go.

After that long depressing discussion of the true reality of our existence, It may seem impossible for us to enjoy these things. However we all know what lies ahead for us. We know our moral duty is to help others, to come to know and believe as we do the truth about our loving God. We cannot simply remove ourselves from this wicked world and wait it out. No we must go back into it, and try to help save as many as we can. Just like a fireman who runs not away from the burning building, but towards it, because he knows that people still can be saved. Without such knowledge that one day we will have forever to enjoy these things, seeing these sights to me seems to be depressing, instead of encouraging.

However because of the faith we have, we can see these sights, experience these wonders of creation, and be happy. Not because we have succeeded in escaping this world, only to die surrounded by paradise, but to know that one day we will enjoy these things as they were meant to be, by Humans, with forever to enjoy them.

So while it is temping to envy those such as this woman, who are able to live a life that seems more natural, that satisfies the wanderlust that is present in all of us, we know that for the time being, we have a duty to help others learn about Jehovah as we ourselves have. 



1 comment:

  1. Far out man!!!
    I like your little mesmerandom...and I know that's also not a word.
    If you find something that makes you a living while traveling please let me know.

    Peace..

    Hanneke

    ReplyDelete